Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra torpedo


After recently having a bad experience with an RP Edge Maduro, I was reticent when choosing this from my humidor. However, I needed to test my Shuriken on a torpedo and I desperately wanted to give Mr. Patel a chance to redeem himself and his Edge line. Worst case scenario: another bad experience and swearing off RP Edge. Best case scenario: total enjoyment.

I believe the lack of cellophane packaging for this stick left the wrapper and foot aroma to be more faint than normal. Having said that, the wrapper and foot aroma both have subtle notes of barnyard. The cold draw is also faint, but is more of cedar and tobacco.

Upon lighting this cigar, the smoker is greeted with some generic woody flavor. That flavor quickly develops into much more specific hickory and cedar flavors. There's a warm sensation on the lips and the wrapper has a cayenne pepper flavor. This is quite a trio of flavors. However, flavor wise, this is pretty much all we get (for the most part). There are other flavors that occur only briefly, but don't last long enough to put one's finger on or mention.

The draw on this is on the low side of what I would call medium resistance. This where I was relieved. The issue I had with the Edge Maduro toro that I smoked previously was that it was rolled way too tightly. I knew that the source of having very little draw was a tight roll rather than having a blockage because it was a snug draw from beginning to end, with really no improvement. I used a draw poker a lot and the draw remained equally tight throughout. But, as mentioned, that was not the case with the Sumatra torpedo. The draw was remarkably better. The burn was decent. For half of the cigar it was wavy, uneven, crooked...but the other half was great.

Overall I would say I liked this cigar. For the most part I would consider it to be on the upper range of mild or lower range of medium bodied and medium in flavor. It definitely has me curious about the other cigars in the Edge line and has made me consider giving the Edge Maduro another chance (some day). This was more like the kind of cigar that I would expect from RP, although I've enjoyed some others of their make better. If you're a Rocky Patel fan, give his Edge Sumatra a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment