Saturday, October 8, 2011

Casa Fernandez Churchill (CRA Edition)


Yet another of the cigars I received as part of my welcome pack at the Seattle Cigar Expo was the Casa Fernandez Churchill. The expo entry fees were to benefit the Cigar Right of America organization. As part of our admission, all those who attended were also signed up to become CRA members (existing members had their memberships renewed) and out of the pile of cigars we got upon entry, 2 were CRA editions. I believe different people got different cigars.

This cigar was a 7 inch by 50 ring guage stick with a medium brown wrapper. The barnyard aroma on the wrapper and foot was potent, and, after cutting with my Shuriken, the cold draw was a fruity flavor.

The flavors upon lighting up with my Xikar Executive were pleasant. Some pepper and spice with a huge flavor of Cedar. The last time I tasted a cedar flavor this big was when I smoked the RP Edge Sumatra that I reviewed a few weeks ago. However, these were nearly the only flavors I got out of this cigar. There was a flavor I couldn't put my finger on during the first 3rd but that's about it.

The draw throughout the smoke was fine. Some resistance, but not too much and not too little. What probably bothered me most was how unevenly I found that this stick burned. I'm someone who likes to have an even burn when I smoke. I don't know why, it's just something I prefer to have. When it's not there, I find it bothersome. I had to touch this cigar up several times to get that.

I will say, like I did with my previous review on the Murcielago, that I've never smoked a Casa Fernandez before and didn't have more than one of this size to smoke. It's very possible that this one was kind of a freak occurence. However, if you're a fan of a strong cedary woodiness in an otherwise normal tasting cigar, give CF a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment